Reasons why I’m excited for “Dear White People:”
- Black actors portraying 3-dimensional characters
- Honest social commentary
- Targeted to the college age demographic
- Thorough exploration of the various forms of racism in America
- Tessa Thompson’s voice and Tyler William’s afro wig
Reasons why I’m not excited for “Dear White People:”
- White people calling it racist
- Mainstream media agreeing with the white people calling it racist
I was rewatching this movie the other day and got up to the point where she and Miss Honey meet for the first time in the classroom, and she mentions that her favorite author is Charles Dickens.
And, like, I always thought they namedropped him in order to make her sound intellectual, but it occurred to me really suddenly and violently that the reason she loves Dickens is because he writes about children who live in abusive systems and who’ve been orphaned or abandoned and she finds comfort and solidarity in it. Miss Honey’s reacts the way she does because Dickens is special to her, likely for the same exact reason. WOW DUH.
ONLY GETTING THIS LIKE 15 YEARS LATER. ALL ABOARD THE SLOW MOBILE.
If it’s any consolation, I’m pretty sure 70% of the people reblogging this also didn’t realise this until you said it. Myself included.